Tynecastle FC v Kelty Hearts

Saughton Enclosure, EOS Qualifying Cup Group Stage, 29/7/17


Kelty made their competitive debut as the newest club in the ranks of Scottish Senior football when they travelled to Saughton Enclosure this afternoon and the challenge of Tynecastle FC in the East of Scotland Qualifying League.

The early stages started slowly as both teams sized each other up in the first ever match between the clubs but it was Kelty who were to make the breakthrough after only 10 minutes and Scott Dalziel had the honour of scoring Kelty Hearts’ first goal as a senior club when he latched on to a cross from Murray Carstairs to header home.

That was the sign to spark the game to life and Tynecastle came close with their reply when Euan Greig latched onto a ball through the Kelty defence however Adamson managed to force the striker slightly wide of target and his effort was well past the post.

Play moved to the other end of the park and a minute later a Carstairs long throw into the box was knocked back by Dalziel to Ritchie, but with the Kelty man away to pull the trigger the home defence managed to block the ball.

Kelty did make it 2-0 after 14 minutes when a MacKenzie corner was swept into the back of the net by Carstairs.

Hearts continued to press and a Husband free kick into the box after 25 was met by Dalziel, however home keeper McMullen gathered the ball, then Kelty skipper, Shaun Greig, won the ball in midfield before firing narrowly wide.

With 36 minutes gone, Kelty made it 3-0 when good work by Ritchie to keep the ball in play on the Tynecastle goal line on the left of goal allowed him to lay the ball back to Husband, his cross into the area was clinically headed home by Dalziel for his second of the day.

Tynecastle had their best effort of the half with 3 minutes to go when the ball was crossed by Brkic to McIntyre on the left wing and when he played the ball into the middle to Trialist, his goalbound effort was cleared off the line by Adamson.


2nd Half

Kelty came close to extending their lead within 2 minutes of the re-start when a Husband free kick into the area was headed down to Philp by Ritchie, however the Kelty midfielder’s effort was off target.

Kelty had claims for a penalty turned down after 66 minutes after Greig won the ball in the centre of the park and slipped the ball to Husband. A great pass through the defence to Douglas saw him slip the ball under the advancing McMullen, however still six yards from goal, Douglas looked to apply the finish but appeared to be pulled back by a home defender to slow his progress before the defence cleared the ball.

Dalziel had been looking for his hat-trick and it almost came about in bizarre circumstances after 74 minutes when a home defender looked to play the ball across his defence on the edge of the Tynecastle box.  The ball hit off Dalziel and travelled goalwards, luckily for the home side, McMullen got back to catch the ball on the line.

Tynecastle were coming more into the game as it drew to an end and first Polson saw an effort blocked by Adamson before McIntyre produced a fantastic save from visiting keeper Scott Christie from the resultant corner.

Polson was to get himself on the scoresheet with a minute to go when he collected the ball at the half-way line and muscled his way past three Kelty players before firing an unstoppable effort into the back of the net from just outside the box.

The final incident of the match saw Tynecastle’s Euan Greig receive a straight red card for a lunging tackle on Douglas.   It appeared a harsh decision as the tackle was undoubtedly reckless but with the player not going into it at speed, a caution looked the more correct decision.

It was a fine debut in the senior game for Kelty Hearts and the focus now moves to Kelty’s home debut in the East of Scotland League when Stirling University EOS are the visitors to New Central Park for a East of Scotland Qualifying League group match.  Kick off is at 2.30pm.


Match stats 20170729_133221018_iOS