Kelty Hearts are through to the Second Round of the Scottish Cup after a 2-1 win in horrendous conditions over an impressive and in-form Jeanfield Swifts side. Goals from Shanley and Easton secured the Maroon Machine’s spot in Monday’s draw.


There were yet again no changes to the starting eleven which has remained the same for the last three league victories, most recently, a 2-0 win over University of Stirling. In terms of the Jeanfield side, there was a recognisable figure in their squad as former Kelty midfielder Chris Dodd started on the bench for the visitors.


(Photo: Billy Clark)


The first chance of the cup tie came for the home side. Austin played a pass to the left where Easton picked up the ball, dribbled into the box and fired a shot at Mitchell’s near post which was saved comfortably by the experienced goalkeeper.


Jeanfield then had what arguably was their best chance of the first half. The away side got a corner after the windy conditions affected Hooper’s pass back which the Swifts nearly took advantage of. The corner was sent to the back post and headed back into the middle by Dalzanski and it was the other centre half, Whitehead, who tried to send the ball towards the goal, but his effort was caught by Jamieson.


As the half went on, it was clear to see that the Jeanfield attack were causing a few minor problems for the Kelty defence on the break. One counter led to a shot by Scott, the other was a cross which evaded past McLeish’s head, and both were inevitably held by Jamieson.


Kelty took the lead just after the half hour mark. After a long-range Stevenson free kick was well saved by Mitchell, the ball stayed around the box until a pass was played to the right by Tidser, Shanley picked up the ball and played in what looked like a low, powerful cross but instead, the ball ended up in the bottom corner of Mitchell’s net and Kelty had their first goal. That goal was Shanley’s third goal in four appearances since joining the club.


(Photo: Billy Clark)


Early in the second half, Kelty got their second goal. After a free kick was won, approximately 25 yards out, Tidser and Easton were standing over the ball. Yet again, we seen a neat free kick routine from this duo as Easton made a run around the wall, received the ball from Tidser and rifled his shot into the roof of the net to double Kelty’s advantage.


The visitors got a goal back after Smith received the ball from Scott, the striker hit the post and McLeish was in the right place to provide a low finish to give Jeanfield a lifeline with around 20 minutes of the game remaining.


(Photo: Billy Clark)


Jeanfield’s best chance to equalise came through McLaren after he turned the ball onto his right foot and hit a shot from range which was saved high and out for a corner by Jamieson.


In the end, the Kelty defence managed to stay resilient and inevitably holding on to their place in the Second Round. From a Jeanfield point of view, they had done well to keep Kelty’s chances to a minimum and threatened Kelty’s defence on the counter attack on multiple occasions.


(Photo: Billy Clark)


Through the horrible weather conditions that both sides had to endure, Kelty booked their place in Monday’s draw and secured another win ahead of a busy league period. MOTM this afternoon was goal scorer Dylan Easton.




Match Report by Logan Bak